While there is not a "one-size-fits-all" schedule for renovation projects, here is a rough time-line for homeowners to use for planning purposes. This works well for projects such as a kitchen renovation or building an addition:
Questions to ask yourself before renovating:
- What do I like best about my home?
- What do I need to change/repair in my home right now?
- What would I like to change about my home within the next few years?
- What are my long term goals (5 to 10 years from now) for my home?
- What do I need / want to renovate or add? "Must- haves"
- What do I desire/dream about my home? "Would be great to haves"
- What are my renovation expectations?